Book Your Mechanic Now
Know your warning symbols
At The FastFit Centre, we want you to get to know your car as well as we do. Although a majority of vehicle repairs require professional knowledge and expertise, there is a number of day to day things that you can look out for. Here is the Fastlane Autocare guide, 'Knowing Your Warning Symbols':
There is a series of warning symbols installed to your car, van, truck or motorhome. Commonly part of your vehicle's ECU and CAN-Bus system, these systems are designed to stop your vehicle from obtaining serious damage if a component fails.
Know your vehicle's warning symbols
- Indicates illumination of rear fog lights.
Seat belt reminder
- This warning light is active as long as you haven’t fastened your seatbelts.
Brakes system alert light
- When your vehicle is running on a low brake fuel level, this light illuminates as a warning symbol.
Engine cooling system light
- This warning symbol illuminates when there is a possibility of your engine getting overheated. You need to stop the vehicle and avoid driving it until it has been inspected.
- The light informs the driver that a passenger airbag has been switched off manually.
- When the voltage level is below normal, this light comes on. You would require professional help in order to resolve this problem.
Open doors indicator
- As the name suggests, in case one of the doors (including the boot) is not shut properly, the light goes on.
- When illuminated, you will need to check transmission fluid level and engine coolant level.
Hazard warning light
- This light is activated when you need to indicate that there is a problem with your vehicle to other drivers.
Engine oil pressure warning
- When there is a loss of oil pressure, this warning symbol will come on.
Oil change reminder
- As the name suggests, this light is illuminated when you would require changing your oil in your engine.
ABS warning light
- The ABS warning light indicates there is a malfunction in your ABS braking system. Professional help is required as it might switch off other warning lights.
Power steering system
- This indicates a malfunction in your steering system.
Engine management light
- This light illuminates when the engine computer has limited power output. Professional help needs to be sought to correct the engine management system.
- This warning symbol illuminates along with other warning lights when there is any problem with your vehicle.
- This light comes on when one or more lights are not functioning properly.
- This light comes on when the All Wheel Drive system is activated.
Low fuel light
- When there is an urgent requirement of fuel, this light turns on.
- This symbol indicates a malfunction with the vehicle's electronic stability system.
Tyre pressure monitor
- In case of low air pressure or a sensor malfunction, the TPMS (TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) light comes on. If your vehicle doesn’t have the option to reset the light, you would require professional help.
Child safety lock
- Switch on this light to activate the child safety lock.
Rear window defrost
- You can switch on this light when you need to clear your window.
- You can switch on this light when you need to clear your front windscreen.
Cruise Control light
- This light comes on if you have activated the cruise system.
For diesel engines
- This light, found only on diesel vehicles, becomes illuminated when the engine’s glow plugs warm up. Do not start the engine until the light goes off.
Diesel exhaust fluid light
- This light turns on when your diesel exhaust fluid reservoir is low and will require a fluid top up.
- This light indicates that you would need to service your vehicle as the diesel exhaust particulate filter has malfunctioned.
If your vehicle's dash develops a new light, don't worry. Give us a call and be reassured that the Fastlane team at The FastFit Centre can help resolve your vehicle's issues. With our wide range of current diagnostics equipment, including DELPHI, Mercedes Star, Xentry, VAG-COM, Launch, Tech 2, Op Com, we can offer competitively priced expert services with prices guaranteed to be cheaper than those of main dealers.
Visit us today or give us a call. Our team of vehicle technicians is ready to help you.
The FastFit Centre
230 Boundary Road